Responsible for the business development initiatives and operations of Addison Whitney. Leads the business development team under the direction of the Vice President of Operations. Is a member of the Addison Whitney leadership team and works closely with the company President to identify and drive business opportunities. Responsible for managing and directing all business development opportunities to ensure that all responses (RFI/RFP) are created accurately and on a timely basis, to a standard of excellence set by our team. Continually updates the business development process and tools to meet current client and pitch team needs. Ensures that our business development team is achieving and exceeding all performance metrics. Leads the Addison Whitney prospecting initiative and is lead administrator of the Addison Whitney account database.
- Responsible for developing, leading, implementing, and managing, the Addison Whitney business development function, across a global footprint, under the direction of the Vice President of Operations.
- Responsible for managing business development opportunities, setting priorities, assigning responsibilities and overseeing RFI/pitch details.
- Manages business development team, personnel issues, and staffing plans.
- Identifies and develops new business relationships, creating pitch opportunities and obtaining new business wins in order to achieve annual new business income targets.
- Manages financial reporting and budgeting for business development. Works with biz dev leads in each office to control pitch expenses and enforce expense/purchase order policies and procedures.
- Responsible for the development of the business development pitch process and tools. Responsible for on-boarding new employees to business development process and tools.
- Leads training for business development process and procedures.
- Responsible for the mentoring and day-to-day management of the business development staff, as well as the timely completion and staff review of performance evaluations in accordance with the company’s performance evaluation cycle.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 15+ years pharmaceutical and/or consumer marketing experience (combined client and agency-side experience preferred).
- 5 years of business development experience for a service-based company
- Solid understanding of agency business development processes and philosophies.
- Excellent project management skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communciation skills including presentation/proposal writing skills. Is detail-oriented with a high standard for quality/correctness of final proposals and presentations.
- Excellent strategic, leadership, training, operations, planning, and organizational skills.
- Strong interpersonal/people management skills, direct reports, executive management, and within team settings.
- Solid understanding of the healthcare/pharmaceutical industry.
- Effectiveness with Executive Management: Can deal comfortably with senior executives; understands how senior executives think and process; can determine the best way to get things done with executives by talking their language and responding to their needs; can craft approaches likely to be seen as appropriate and positive.
- Company Strategic Focus: Takes a lead role in setting long term strategic plan; is future oriented and can anticipate future consequences and industry trends accurately; has broad industry knowledge and perspective; creates competitive and breakthrough strategies and plans for key accounts and multiple teams.
- Process/Project Management: Ability to create and manage business development process across all US offices; work with offices to ensure the process is efficient and effective for business development opportunities; ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously with various timelines; ability to identify potential issues/conflicts and solve appropriately.
- Effective Communication Skills: Ability to streamline various and multiple communications in an organized and logical fashion; communicates priorities, responsibilities and deadlines; understanding of presentation design and overall theatrics of a pitch or presentation.
- Negotiation Skills: Collaboration of all strategic partners in the company; negotiates skillfully in tough situations with both internal and external groups at the highest levels in the company and client’s company; can win concessions without damaging relationships; can be both direct and forceful as well as diplomatic; gains trust quickly; has a good sense of timing.
- Hiring, Motivating, and Managing: Ability to assess specific needs by office and identify candidates with correct talent, experience and personality. Responsible for training dedicated business development individuals and extended resources. Fosters open communication; shares wins and successes; lets people take responsibility for their work; defines success in terms of the whole team; can motivate many kinds of personalities; empowers others; invites input from each person and shares ownership and visibility; is someone people like working for and with; ability to resolve conflicts diplomatically. Ability to effectively motivate and manage across geographies.
- Training & Presentation Skills: Is effective in a variety of formal presentation/training settings: one-on-one, small/large groups, with peers, subordinates, and executives; commands attention and can manage groups effectively.
- Financial Management: Manages the business development budget and expenses. Creates policies to ensure proper spending for pitches and marketing initiatives. Makes decisions based on which initiatives are priorities and will increase revenue and support business development efforts.
Addison Whitney is committed to employing a diverse workforce. We recruit and retain talented individuals without regard to gender, race, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.